On Memorial Day, the Vietnam Memorial in D.C. is supposed to look like this:

Instead, for seven long hours, it looked like this:

Obama’s secret service shut down the memorial for most of the day, as families and veterans who had come to pay their respects to fallen loved ones were forced to stay hundreds of feet away.

Why?  So that the Narcissist-in-Chief could show up for 15-minute speech and photo-op with his carefully selected fans in the audience.

In his campaign speech remarks, Obama made sure to mention that:

“As long as I’m president, we will make sure you and your loved ones will receive the benefits you’ve earned and the respect you deserve,” Obama said. “America will be there for you.”

Wow.  How did our veterans ever get their benefits before the benevolent Obamessiah came to office?   Is that his argument for why they should vote for him?  Because their benefits are only available “as long as I’m president?”  Perhaps he’s hoping they’ll forget that he suspended hazard pay for deployed U.S. troopsterminated 157 Air Force Majors without retirement benefits, and proposed a budget that would cut healthcare benefits for active duty and retired US military while protecting union benefits.

Brian Trubee left this comment on Weasel Zippers:

I just received this e-mail from a brother in arms who I served with as a USAF pararecueman. A link to his e-mail is at the bottom of the message. I deleted the photos because the server rejected them. -Brian Trubee, Redmond, Washington.:

I am currently in Washington DC and witnessed the following. I saw this first hand and I bet you won’t hear about this from the Liberal media…

Vietnam veterans and the families of Vietnam veterans killed in action whose names are etched on the Wall were denied access to their memorial today, of all days, Memorial Day. The Vietnam Memorial was shutdown, cleared and secured for approximately 5 hours prior to Obama, his cronies and hand picked veterans for a 15 minute appearance by Obama. It’s obvious it was all for show. After all, this is an election year.

Hundreds if not thousands of Vietnam veterans and families of Vietnam veterans killed in Vietnam stood in disbelief as Secret Service, Park Police, Washington DC Police, etc., blocked all access to the Vietnam Memorial and kept everyone approximately 100 yards away from their memorial for the first time in the history of the Memorial so Obama could get some photos of him at the Wall. Veterans in uniforms stood in the heat angered as Obama makes them wait. It was a photo op at their expense and families of those killed in Vietnam.

As I stated, I was there and witnessed all of this. Many veterans and others flipped Obama the finger as his motorcade drove past. I didn’t honor him with a finger salute because I was busy holding up my 3′x5′ Don’t Tread on Me Flag as his motorcade drove past.

On another note, I was able to dedicate some port-o potties to Jane Fonda. Pictures attached. Maybe Obama should share this honor with Jane Fonda henceforth.

- Jim Morris

Kristinn at Free Republic confirms the story:

So this is how Obozo honors those who served….I just had this passed on from a friend who was at the wall this morning:

I normally try to avoid political statements, but this one is a bit different. This was received by Colonel Wayne Morris just a few moments ago, who was refused access to the Vietnam War Memorial, where he has visited his fallen comrades for the last 15 years.

Today is Memorial Day and I went to the Vietnam Memorial and something happened there that upset me greatly and I want to pass it on.

For over 15 years I had been going with my dear Marine buddy, Larry Cullen. Since he passed away last year and was interned at Arlington Cemetery, I went this year accompanied by my grandson, Cameron. I had my list of Recon Marines, school classmates, and Larry’s fallen buddies to visit but, as we got close to the area of the National Mall where the Wall is located, we saw huge white tents. We also saw barricades all along Constitution Ave and for a couple blocks in each direction from the Wall. They even closed down all of Constitution Av from the Lincoln Memorial all the way to the WW-II Memorial and there was a virtual army of uniformed and plain-clothes security everywhere.

The biggest tent was right at the west end of the Wall entrance and there was a covered walkway leading right up to The Wall. It was so close, you couldn’t get to the Wall on that side so, my grandson and I went all the way around to the eastern entrance to the Wall and walked down along the Wall to the first of my names and I began telling my grandson about my buddies and how each one died. In short order, a guy in a dark suit and earpiece in his ear told us we had to leave as it was 0730 and they were closing Memorial until at least 1400 so the President could drop by. I asked if he was serious and he assured me he was. We and all the other veterans and families were forced to leave and it was locked down.

The Vietnam Memorial is the most visited site on the entire National Mall. Memorial Day has more visitors to the Vietnam Memorial than almost any other day. Even at the rather early hour Cameron and I were there, there were a lot of veterans and family members down there. In the midst of all that, Obama decides to close it for over seven hours just so he can roll by for 30 minutes in the afternoon for a campaign appearance with Democrats, supporters, and campaign donors? This is an incredulously arrogant, egotistical, and inconsiderate thing to do. What in hell was Obama thinking?

Hey President Obama: Since you ran me (and all the other veterans and family members) out of the Memorial before we finished our business there, how about doing me a favor. If you can take a short break from all the grippin’, grinnin’, posin’ and pontificatin’, how about taking a minute or two to stop by and say hello to my fellow Recon Marines and other classmates on the Wall. I suspect you’ll be too busy with photo ops, campaigning, and stroking donors to be troubled with a couple minutes doing what the Memorial was built for but, just in case, here’s a list so you can have your man find them and point them out to you. Hope you have a Meaningful Memorial Day.

Joseph J. JONES; 53-W-02
William D. Martin, 25-E- 87
Michael L. Laporte, 26-E-1
Ronald Frederick Kitzke, 32-E-76
Charles Harris, 34-E-48
Robert Tracy, 34-E-72
Michael G. Murdock, 36-E-57

Maybe it would have been better for everyone if Obama had just gone golfing like last year.   Unfortunately, this is what veterans and their families have to suffer when Obama is in full campaign mode.

No wonder a recent Gallup poll showed veterans prefer Mitt Romney to Obama, 58% to 34%.

H/T Jan Weeks

UPDATE: The National Park Service, Public Affairs, and Vietnam Veterans of America all confirmed the shut-down when contacted by phone.  VVA said that all the guests had to be pre-screened for security reasons, and it would have been “very difficult” to give advance notice to all the families and vets who arrived to find it closed.

Obama’s dismal track record with our military

[adrotate group="16"]

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

65 Responses to “Obama’s Memorial Day Photo-Op Blocks Families, Vets From D.C. Vietnam Memorial Wall For 7 Hours”

• THOMAS ATKINS says:

OBAMA AND HIS WIFE ARE BOTH UN-AMERICAN MUSLIMS…….THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR HIM I HOPE HAVE NOW WOKE UP AND REALIZED WHAT A DISMAL TWISTED PERSON HE IS…….HE IS BEYOND BEING NARCISSTIC….HE FASHIONS HIMSELF AS SOME SORT OF KING BUT IN REALITY HE IS A WIMPY PUPPET CONTROLLED BY BIGGER UN-AMERICANS…..WE CAN STOP THIS ATTACK ON AMERICA BY VOTING FOR ROMNEY AND RECRUITING OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO DO THE SAME…..COME ON FOLKS……IF YOPU LOVE YOUR COUNTRY….DO THE RIGHT THING…..DO THE ONLY THING……VOTE THE SCUMBAG OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE……GOD BLESS AMERICA…..

• Dave Chopourian says:

There are only two words that describes B.H.O. They are “The Traitor”. That is unless he is not a Natural Born Citizen. Then it would be “The Enemy”.

• Mquiroz says:

This speaks volumes about him. Does it surprise me??? Not in the least. Vote him out…

• Brian Jordan says:

Ben Franklin was not a president of the United States! (See John McGeough’s comment of 6.2, 12:15 p.). – And there were service personnel present in the seated area at the Wall, as there were when Pres. Obama spoke at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers, A.N.C., earlier in the day! – Would you prefer that the President not attend, as Geo. W. did for four (4) years? – Two (2) while on vacation (golfing?) at Kennebunkport!

• John McGeough says:

Good catch Brian Jordan,
    You are quite correct. I did indeed mistakenly list Ben Franklin as a President. I was so mad about bho that I also made a mistake about the actual quote. I stand corrected. What I meant to say is:

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.

QUOTATION: Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826)

• A. Scherzer says:

I am sure that the reason our former president went golfing was because he did not want his presence to deny a vet the chance to go up to the Memorial. Wouldn’t you rather have it that way than like it was under the current president? I would. Security has to be maintained when the president is present. But not as much as it was.

• Tom Williams says:

This President does not give a Rat’s Ass about the Vietnam Veteran, and either does his wife, they only cafre about how many votes they can congure up, when is the American public going to wake up?

• R. Scarborough says:

In reply to Brian Jordan: just wanted to mention Brian that both of the Bush’s served honorably. The current president served at ACORN stealing votes and social security numbers.

• Bob Currier CSM USA RET. says:

Nothing has to be said, read between the lines. You can tell he is an Idiot.

• Mr. Jordan,
    The topic is about what’s.his.face, not GWB. What what’s.his.face did was dishonor our Fallen Heroes (those are the men and women whose name is on that big, black, stone that what’s.his.face used as a backdrop), their friends and families, and their Brother and Sister Veterans at large.

As you know (or most likely don’t have a clue about) Memorial Day is about honoring those who died in active military service. See your dictionary. You will not find the terms “Photo-Op” or “Bully Pulpit” in the definition.

As you know (or most likely don’t have a clue about) Memorial Day, 2012 was also the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of the Vietnam War.

Please note; In Accordance With Public Law 110-181 SEC.598; the 2008 National Defense Authorization Act authorized the Secretary of Defense to conduct a program to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War and “in conducting the commemorative program, the Secretary shall coordinate, support, and facilitate other programs and activities of the Federal Government, State and local governments, and other persons and organizations in commemoration of the Vietnam War.”

I did not see the the terms “Photo-Op” or “Bully Pulpit” anywhere in “The Law”, either. Nor do I believe that what’s.his.face is above “The Law”.

• Gregory Peachey says:

It’s “GOD BLESS AMERICA..!
    ‘NOT’ Alah bless America…..!
    I thought so anyway..?
    Someone PLEASE tell the bIG ” O “

• Barbara Deen says:

t I t has been stated over and over the lack of respect they have even for the people who work in the White House and Secret Service who protect their lives. They have been treated worse than any other President or Presidents wife in office. Why should they respect for the ones who fought for their country when they have no respect for anyone who does not kiss the feet of the King and Queen of our country. We small people, everyday people, the ones who have kept this country free are nothing to them. Only what impacts their narrow little worlds matter to them. Raise up fellow Americans and vote these people out of office and put someone in that cares for their country.

• Linda Gilgan says:

Referring to Rachel’s comment that Pres. Obama suspended combat pay for deployed troops, it isn’t true! What the DoD is doing is prorating combat pay for the number of days you’re deployed to an Imminent Danger zone, but not prorating combat pay if you’re actually in a Hostile Fire zone. If you’re in an Imminent Danger zone and things start happening, then they change it to a Hostile Fire zone. Bet that happens a lot. See http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/payentitlements/specialpay/hfp_idp.html

• Edd Bellett says:

As an Armybrat, born on an army post in 1942, who dad was a survivor of Heilehiem Germany 11B. The 42 Tank Bn was wiped out there. My dad was a survivor of the Pusan pocket in Korea, he got there 5 July 1950. He was in Korea for 18 months, I remember Ronnie Timmons my childhood friend. His Daddy didn’t come back from Korea. I don’t think anyone should be President unless they have served in the military, in leadership role. George Washington did, so did Teddy Roosevelt and John Kennedy (who was a much better man than his brothers. I think Vietnam would have been different with him). Obama is a joke and isn’t an American, he is a fraud. GOD Blees my brothers in Arlington, and on The Wall. Oh yes I am retired Army too.

• Sp.4 L.H.Hahn USArmy Ret says:

We all gave some . Some gave All !!
    This man just dosen’t No .
    This the USA we Never Forgetted are friends and Faimly.
    God Bless the USA.